Sunday, May 15, 2011

SUP Huguenot Flats to Pony Pasture


Last weekend was absolutely GORGEOUS!  So much so that we were able to get a few paddle sessions in before this weekend's SUP Enduro and SUP Cross races at Riverrock.

























The wind was working against us which is exactly what we needed to show us that we were absolutely not ready for any kind of race!  But that doesn't matter....SUP Enduro and SUP Cross was AWESOME (more on that later).  ; )

Once we were satisfied with how far we'd paddled up river we turned our boards around, rested our paddles on the boards and enjoyed the downwinder.....

until we realized we were on a collision course with a huge swarm of bugs in front of us....

and as we floated closer...

we heard the buzzing.

This was not a swarm of gnats (as we thought)....but a swarm of tens of thousands of bees.

As soon as we realized this my husband yelled to get down and we both laid out flat on our boards.

The swarm passed right over us.

It was...intense...to say the least.

I was about to roll over into the water and put my ShuBu over my head!

Unreal.

The next half of the afternoon we teamed up with fellow SUPer Sean for a downwinder from Huguenot Flats to Pony Pasture.



















Once we got to the dam off of Riverside drive just before Pony Pasture I took out and walked my board around the whitewater obstacle I wasn't quite ready for.

My husband on the other hand was determined to get his board over the dam.




































The rapids at Pony Pasture were F-U-N!  I was on my knees the entire time because I didn't have a helmet but it was still pretty exhilarating!

Thank you weather gods for such a fantastic weekend!


No comments: