Monday, May 16, 2011

SUP Enduro: RiverRock 2011

It's Monday and I'm STILL blown away at how awesome SUP Enduro and SUP Cross was at Dominion Riverrock this weekend!

I competed (I use that term loosely) in the SUP Enduro which was a 2.7 mile race along Haxall Canal on my ShuBu and have learned the following:

* Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboards are not meant for racing.
* All Stand Up Paddlers are AWESOME.
* Talking throughout the entirety of a race to onlookers and friends does not help you go faster.
* Richmonders treat underdogs very, very well.

















When we arrived to the starting area I was immediately greeted by Camille and Bryan Smith of BlackDogPaddle.com!  We'd been chatting with them back and forth on our Facebook page so it was truly a pleasure to finally meet them in person!

We were also really excited to see Macky Hall of Chesapeake Boardsports ready to rock the race!

I was pretty intimidated by all of the technical race boards but each SUPer's smile put me at ease.....it was OK my board was inflatable, it was OK if I wasn't fast....we were all out here to have a good time.

















The race course was simple: 3 laps up and down the Haxall Canal. 

The start of the race was FUN!  Everyone ahead of me was pretty darn fast but I got to play on their chop!

Pictured below is Macky in the red shorts and Cherie in the red shirt (1 of 3 of us gal participants) taking off!
































It was really cool being in a race with such talented SUPers!
































Pictured below is Camille on her 2nd lap while I'm still trying to finish my first!  Camille dominated!








































Fifty-four minutes after the start and after a heck of a fun work out I crossed the finish line...


 I sooooooooo want to do this again!

But I'm going to get a proper board for next time.  ; )

Because there were only three of us gals in the race, we each placed (each of us winning a cash prize)!  =)

















Congrats Camille and Cherie on a race-well-paddled!!!

4 comments:

Sara Maida said...

Maybe next year I can participate...then there will be 4 contestants and you will STILL place :) Way to go Amanda!

Sara Maida said...

AND Jody!!

lori said...

Wow, that looks like it was a great time! Maybe next year ;)You can always borrow my board if you need.

The Life Tourist said...

@Sara--next year definitely!
@Lori--I can't borrow your board because you're going to sign up for this event next year! ; )