Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SUP Pony Pasture Rapids with SUPRVA

What a fantastic couple of weekends we've had in Virginia!

While the weather hasn't been consistently wonderful....it has been giving us a few good hours of SUPing before letting loose.

Two Sunday's ago we met up with Jason of Stand Up Paddleboards Richmond for a little ShuBu SUPing at Pony Pasture Rapids.

Dark clouds threatened our entire session......




















but Mother Nature was in a good mood that afternoon and gave us plenty of play time...





Because the river was so low there was an abundance of exposed rocks that made for fantastic obstacles....

























Below are a few shots of the boys taking on a nice little pocket of rapids....





















While the boys continued looking for pockets to surf, I explored the greenery...




















We paddled as far upriver as we were comfortable with and started the relaxing ride back down...




















And then our relaxing paddle got slightly technical and I'm happy to report I remained standing through some pockets of rapids that I would not have tried a few months ago!  Sad to say we have no photos of it.

And then I'm not so happy to report that at the very end of our paddle (just before taking out), I got my ShuBu stuck on a rock and in order to dislodge had to step off of the board.  In doing so, I rolled my ankle on the slippery rocks below me sending a pain through my body I have not experienced in a very long time.

My foot went into shock and would not react to my brain telling it to move.

I had to sit on the rock for a minute (at which time it began to rain) and my unfortunate husband and Jason had to carry all three of our ShuBu's back to the parking lot as I was unable to do more than hobble behind them.

Definitely not a great end to the paddle...but a great paddle nonetheless!!!!

My ankle is still a bit wonky and I'm thinking I'll need to get it checked out if it doesn't heal up soon.  But I did do a very light paddle last night and it felt GREAT!

No comments: